Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hypocrisy In The Church..What's The Point Of Going?

For years, I had lost a desire to go to church. I would just go through the motions of going there because it was where I felt God wanted me to be during those seasons. Which I desire to be obedient to God even more then my comfort.  Now, don't get it twisted.   My relationship with Christ and being a Christian didn't interfere with my lack of desire of going to church. I was and still is passionately in love with Jesus.  It was evident to all of those who knew me. I was irritated.  There were times when I was going through some serious circumstances as well as many other people. But, most of the sermons were about breakthru in finances and materialism. I felt that hearing sermons on those topics weren't going to change my situation.  There were several other things I could go on and on about. Like the lack of action of reaching out to the community, the fakeness, and lack of genuine love.  But, this blog isn't intended to bash going to church. I enjoy going to church when the word is genuinely preached, delivered without compromise, the pastor's heart is after God, the church is actively involved in reaching out to the community, there is genuine love evident, and assembling together with others to seek God's face. We as people are imperfect so there will never be a perfect church.  But, there should definitely be a standard.  A local church should be a place where people can gather with others to learn more about Christ, be encouarged,  and challenged. Also it should be a place that Believers are equipped and trained to go into their communities and jobs demonstrating the power of Jesus thru their lives.  There are people who are lost and hurting all over the world.  A local church shouldn't be just as a social club. The love of Jesus should be evident in our churches.  I have benefitted greatly from a few close friendships as a result of going to a local church.  These people have been there during difficult times in our lives.  Even though, we live far away from each other we still communicate regularly.  I'm so thankful for those friendships and rejoice in knowing that we can count on our friends.  Through out the bible especially the new testament, it teaches us how a biblical church is supose to function.  So I'm not trying to be picky. I read my bible and if something doesn't line up with it I'm going to question it.  I'm not preaching a sermon but, I will insert a passage of scripture below.

" All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper[ , and to prayer. A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders. And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved."-Acts 2:42-47

We learn from the above scriptures that gathering together with other Believers is a good thing. The Early Church in the New Testament devoted themselves to the teachings of the apostles, they assembled together in prayer, they shared their possessions giving to those in need, they genuinely praised God, enjoyed the fellowship of all people, and because of that they were powerful and received great growth. A strong church is built upon a solid foundation of Jesus Christ. It consists of Pastors and Leaders who are submitted to God's will, who are good shepherds according to the bible, preaching of the gospel, focused on equipping people, authenticy, outreach to the community, and understands the pupose of ministry.  Also, majority of the People in the Congregation are being challenged, edified, on fire, growing spirtually, walking in love, walking in unity, reaching out to others, and picking up their cross.  When a church is functioning the way God intended it to be it affects those who are apart of it and also infiltrates out into community.  I've moved to a new location almost a few months ago.  Although I wasn't looking for a perfect church, there were several things I was looking for in a new church.  My checklist consisted of a pastor that passionate about his relationship with Christ, a place where the gospel is preached/sound doctrine, a multi racial church, realness, a sensing of the Holy Spirit presence, good children's church, equipping of the believers, and heavy involvement in transforming the community! My husband, son, and I have attended this church about six times. So far we absolutely like the church.  Everytime we attend service the worship has been great and there is definitely a sensing of God's presence evident. Also the preaching has been really good. The sermons usually encourages, edifies, and challenge us.  A few times when we attended there were circumstances we we're experiencing in our personal lives that happened to be mention in the sermon. It totally enourage us to keep running the race and to not throw in the towel. The children's church has also been impressive. My son has been learning and challenged.  They have their own Praise And Worship service.  Now I know there may be somethings in the future we won't necessary agree with all the time. Thats okay as long as it doesn't compromise with the standard of whats in that bible.  So I want to encourage those who have had bad experience or want to give up on churches to be encouraged.  Our faith and hope shouldn't be in a Pastor or a Church building in the first place.  Put your hope in Christ, get in your word, and seek him for guidance! I encourage you to continue to walk in love, forgive, and don't separate yourself from other Believers. Live a radical life for Jesus, let his light shine through you, and focus on being his vessel in this world!http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/CBNTeachingSheets/Choosing_A_Church.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment