Friday, November 4, 2011

Freedom From The Creamy Crack...


I have finally experience freedom from my hair being addicted to creamy crack!LOL I'm so serious. But, at the same time I'm totally kidding. I remember being a young girl and my mama would straighten my hair with a hot comb on the stove. I had a head full of thick, black, and long hair. Boy, was I scared every time she grabbed that comb and put it through my hair. I could feel the steam rising and tried my best to sit still so, i wouldn't get burnt. When she finished my hair it was so worth it. My hair would be straight until, the humidity of Atlanta's weather attacked it. Once that happen, it would be frizzy and puffy again. By the time I was seven years old, my mama decided to put a relaxer in my hair. I was so excited. I wouldn’t have to go through the torture of having my hair straighten anymore. It would now be straight for a long time. I remember looking in the mirror for the first time after getting my relaxer. I felt so beautiful and was amazed to see my hair. Although, I loved having my hair being relaxed there were many things I didn’t like about it. I usually had my hair retouched every 6-8 weeks. I couldn’t scratch my scalp a few days before I got it. If I did my scalp would burn and I would receive sores in the places that I scratch. It also took a lengthy amount of time to apply and rinse all of it out of my hair. If any of it was left in my hair it could cause ball spots. I also hated the smell. My hair would smell like chemicals for days. When it rain or my hair got wet it would ruin my hair style. Most of my life I relaxed my hair. I was pregnant with my son seven years ago and I didn’t use a relaxer during my pregnancy. I didn’t want to take the chances of using those chemcals while I was pregnant. But, once I delivered him I went back to the Creamy Crack!LOL I was in the valley of decision for a long time, before I actually decided to go totally natural. About seven months ago, I made up my mind to go natural. I was sick and tired of having to put a relaxer in my hair. My hair is so thick and I rarely like relaxing it myself. So I usually went to the hair salon and it was expensive keeping it done. I discussed it with my husband, he was supportive, so I begin doing research on natural hair care. I begin researching information on websites and watching YouTube tutorials. My hair was a few inches below my shoulder. One day I came home from work and decided that I would cut a few inches off. So with the help of my husband, my hair was cut into a bob. I received many compliments but, my goal was to go natural. I knew once I begin the journey of chopping off inches there was no turning back. I made up my mind to decrease my use of blow dryers and flat irons during the transition process. I tried different styles. Some people liked my hair and some wasn’t a fan of it. But, I made up my mind that I was doing it for myself. I wanted my hair to be healthy and to be free of that process. I would read interviews from Biracial and African American celebrities who had curly or kinky hair. Many of them would state that it still isn’t widely accepted in the Entertainment Industry to wear their hair in its natural state. Although there are many African American Women who are now embracing their natural hair. Some are still ashamed and embarrassed to show their hair in its natural state.  As if, they don’t feel beautiful unless their hair is straight. I’ll be honest before I begun this journey I felt the same way too. I was scared to wear my hair in its natural state. I had no idea how I would look. Then I begin to contemplate that God created my hair like this and I wanted to embrace it. I was tired of being in bondage when I go to the beach having to cover my hair or when it was humid outside it would mess up my hair. So for several months I wore different transition hairstyles and micro twists with extensions. I wanted my relaxer to grow out before I decided what to do. For months I went back and forth on what I should do with my hair. Would I do the Big Chop and cut it all off? Or Would I go through the slow process of letting the relaxer grow completely out of my hair? One night sporadically, I decided to take my braids out and then I planned on cutting off  the relaxed hair. I felt like I had some kahunas to do the Big Chop. At about 6:00 a.m. in the morning I cut off all the relaxer from my hair. I had a few inches of new growth. I was in shocked of how my hair was looking as I cut the hair off. When I finished my hair was a super, thick, mini afro. I felt such liberation. I experience a measure of freedom. I looked in the mirror I felt beautiful. I had no make up or earrings on to enhance my beauty.  In the future I will still wear wigs and weaves at times. But, I have been delivered from the creamy crack also known as a relaxer. I know in this blog I picked fun at relaxers but, I don’t condemn anyone who chooses to use it. I’m embracing this journey and the freedom I feel from being natural! Bye Bye Creamy Crack!! My hair no longer needs you!
http://www.curlynikki.com/

3 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration to so many Curtisha! And the irony here is that I am a very pale skinned girl with stick-straight hair. And you know what--- all my life I've wanted to be tan and have a 'golden-bronze complexion' and I've always thought curly or wavy hair was beautiful. I even called my own hair 'stringy' and 'straggly'....basically what I'm trying to get at is this: We are now exposing the LIE of the enemy of our souls!! His scheme has been to tell us that however we are naturally (how God made us) isnt beautiful. He has been speaking lies to our generation telling them that they need to change their appearance in order to be pretty. Once WE begin walking in truth and setting that example, then our generation will begin to see the light. I am encouraged and challenged by this post! Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say--I am encouraged and challenged by 'your' post :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much MaryBeth for those words of encouragement. You hit it right on the nail. "We are now exposing the Lie of the enemy of our souls! His scheme has been to tell us that however we are naturally(how God made us) isn't beautiful." Thats good to hear from a woman of another race. Because, I never really thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete